03 Apr Marketing Fun Facts
Affiliate Marketing? Influence Marketing? Both? Fun Facts and Stats to Help You Decide.
As Influencer marketing plays a growing role in the drive to connect brands with their target audience, many companies are starting to take a long hard look at their affiliate programs and ask themselves if they should start to place more emphasis on influencer campaigns or a combination of both.
Statistics about affiliate and influencer marketing add to the confusion. Numbers for both sectors show an upward trend but perhaps more important is finding a way to combine the two as part of an optimization strategy for your marketing ROI.
Here are a few interesting stats with regards to affiliate and influencer marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing Industry to Grow to $6.8 Billion Over Next Five Years (Rakuten/Forrester)
- Over 80 percent of advertisers and 84 percent of publishers surveyed ran an affiliate program (Rakuten/Forrester)
- More than 80 percent of advertisers devoted over 10 percent of their marketing budget to affiliate marketing (Rakuten/Forrester)
- Approximately 15% of the digital media industry’s revenue now comes from affiliate marketing (BI Intelligence)
- Estimated compound annual growth rate of 10% through 2020 (Forrester)
- YouTube stars are more influential than traditional celebrities – 70% of teenage subscribers claim to relate to YouTube creators more than they do to celebrities (Google)
- YouTube stars are more engaged with their audience when compared with celebrities – 3x as many views, 2x as many actions, 12x as many comments (Google)
Clearly, affiliate marketing is still a much bigger component of overall marketing for a number of reasons including: affiliate marketing is performance based whereas influence marketing is fee based; ROI is easier to measure in an affiliate program; and affiliate programs simply have a longer track record with proven results.
With that in mind, influencer marketing is growing and should not be overlooked as a way to complement a new or established affiliate campaign.